Visit us at: Book a Table Book a Room
The Jug Bottle 10 WEB

Our Story

The Jug & Bottle's journey

A stroll down memory lane

From its beginnings as a wealthy cotton merchant's home in the 19th Century, the building has been through various transformations until it came to rest in our hands.

The pub has been owned by our family company, Stange & Co. since 1992. However, it hasn’t always been called the Jug & Bottle, nor has it always been a pub. 'Hill House', the original name of the building was built in the 1870s (although parts of the cellar suggest an earlier building on the site) as a home and remained residential for many years until the 20th Century.


Hill House 3 3
Hill House 1 2adj
Hill House 2 2


Cotton Merchant's residence

In 1901 Meadows Arnold Frost, his wife Rosalie and their family lived at 'Hill House', a cotton merchant based in Liverpool originally from Chester. He and his family moved over to the Wirral as connections were made easier by the opening of the rail tunnel under the Mersey in 1886.

In 1921 a Major Pooley bought the house and extended and improved it considerably to become quite a grand family home.



Heswall Castle

Prior to 1894 local services for the majority of the Wirral peninsula were under the control of the Wirral Urban Sanitary District prior to 1894. Then the Local Government Act of 1894 created Wirral as a Rural District of Cheshire so local services were then centralised at county level. Then in 1933 this idea was abandoned and under the County Review Order the Wirral was split between the Bebington urban district, the county borough of Birkenhead, Ellesmere Port urban district, Hoylake urban district, Neston urban district, Wallasey county borough and the new Wirral Urban District.

The new Wirral Urban District required offices and set its sights on Heswall. It was looking at two sites; Hill House a private residence and ‘Heswall Castle’ a girls orphanage originally built as a house by Mr Tytherington in 1865 for his wife who disliked it and never lived there and so became known as the ‘Tytherington Folly’. He sold it in the 1890s and it was turned into a girls orphanage. By the 1930s it had fallen into disrepair and the Council decided it would have cost too much to put into use as offices. Heswall Castle was eventually demolished and this made way for Castle Drive and Castle Buildings on Telegraph Road.

Council chambers with caretakers quaters adj SMLWEB
Proposed conversion of hill house into offices first floor plan
Proposed conversion of hill house into offices first floor plan GROUNDSMLWEB


Hill House

So the council decided on Hill House. Who took about quite extensive improvements but not quite the sprawling local government metropolis they had hoped for with the castle.

The images show the plans that the council had drawn up for the amendments to the property.

Wirral counil logo


Council Plans

In 1972 the powers that be decided to reorganise local government again, under the Local Government Act 1972, ‘plus ca change’. The Wirral Borough Council was created from a merger of the county boroughs of Wallasey and Birkenhead, the municipal borough of Bebington and the urban districts of Hoylake and Wirral. The 1972 Act also created the much maligned move for parts of the Wirral from the historic county of Cheshire to the new Metropolitan County of Merseyside. So Hill House became surplus to requirements, as council offices were centralised at Wallasey and Birkenhead and so was eventually placed on the market.

Hill house hotel 3 pop up
Hill house hotel 4 pop up
Hill house hotel 5 pop up


Hill House Hotel

In July 1985 Hill House was sold by the council to a local developer J.L.Wilkinson Developments Ltd. Cheshire Hotels operated it for a number of years as the 'Hill House Hotel' before selling it to Bernie Inns, who we then bought it from in October 1992 and renamed it the 'Jug & Bottle'.

Jug and Bottle 1992 a
Jug and Bottle 1992 b
Jug and bottle 1992 d
Jug and Bottle 1992 c


The Jug & Bottle was born

We purchased the pub in 1992 and we’d like to think we’ve made some significant ‘improvements’ to the old girl since then! We knocked the old hotel around a bit (well quite a lot actually) creating a new bar and giving it a new lease of life.


1993 - 2008

The place to be...

It soon became a busy and thriving pub in the heart of Heswall and was the popular "haunt" for many a local. Those who remember the Jug in the nineties and noughties will have fond memories of the Spanish tapas restaurant, and people will remember when the bar would be "ten deep" from early doors through until close on a Friday and Saturday night.

IMG 7050smlweb


Tapas Restaurant....twice!

The addition of the popular tapas restaurant was a huge success for a number of years producing some delicious Spanish dishes in what can only be described as a shoebox of a kitchen, we look back now and wonder how they did it!

The restaurant then took a different path in 2007 becoming a British restaurant serving a great local steak. However the tapas was missed, so in 2009 Tapa Vista was born making a comeback of the popular tapas restaurant from yesterday year until it closed its doors for the final time in January 2013.

D80 3344smlweb
D80 9817sm Lweb
D80 9750smlweb


Pub refurb

We decided to change tack in 2013 bringing a proper British pub to Heswall serving wholesome British food, local ales and quality wines. The pub underwent a sympathetic refurb tweaking the bar and restaurant area with the addition of rustic wooden furniture along with a sympathetic paint job softening the feel of the place as well as adding an interesting collection of art to lift the decor.

Three years passed and it was time to change up the old girl. We soon realised that our food offering had outgrown our kitchen and we needed to move it. If you remember where the old kitchen was (opposite the staircase) then like us, you wont quite be able to believe what the team used to be able to produce out of such a small space.

The goal of the refurb was to open up the whole of the pub and make it more of one space rather than the separate restaurant, bar and reception. With a couple of tweaks here and there along the way, we feel that the pub now has a nice relaxing atmosphere blending the cosy feel of the bar area with the light and airy dining space.

IMG 2321a WEB
IMG 2385a WEB
IMG 2408a WEB


Addition of three more bedrooms

We have always had a handful of guest bedrooms upstairs creating a homely stay for our guests however with increasing popularity of our rooms we then moved the manager out of his apartment to next door and transformed this area into three new bedrooms meaning we now have nine lovely boutique en-suite bedrooms nestled above the pub offering the perfect weekend getaway or a quick stopover for those passing through.


Sign up to The Jug's newsletter and we’ll keep you in the loop about all the latest developments, news and offers.

Stange & Co. Ltd
Registered Office: 19 Trinity Square,
Llandudno, LL30 2RD
Company registered number: 639690
VAT number: 160 2262 07

Site design & build by View Creative Agency